This article is not talking about off page SEO – meaning back-links, social media strategies, etc. I am talking about on page SEO what you must do on your website to get higher ranking on search engines.
There are some fundamental things that need to be done before you submit your website to search engines. These things should ALWAYS be a priority.
If you have a web person taking care of your website make sure they have done these things.
First 11 Steps to Search Engine Dominance…
- Indicate page titles using title tags – so important that each page has a title that is unique and descriptive.
- Create accurate descriptions of your business using the description meta tag. Write a description that would both inform and interest users if they saw your description meta tag as a snippet in a search result
Source Code Looks like this.
<title>Marketing-Information and Advice on Marketing Strategy</title>
<meta name="description=" content="Learn about marketing careers, the stages of developing a marketing plan, how to begin marketing research, create a marketing strategy"> </head> <body>
- Use mostly text for navigation. Controlling most of the navigation from page to page on your site through text links makes it easier for search engines to crawl and understand your site.
- Put an HTML site map page on your site, and use an XML sitemap file.
- Create content that is useful and compelling. Use a good mix of keyword phrases.
- Write text that users will enjoy that is well written and easy to follow
- Break your content up into logical chunks
- Make sure each page has relevant and unique copy – do not copy the same text from page to page
- Format links so they’re east to spot –choose descriptive text to link with.
- Optimize your use of images – be sure and use the alt tag with a descriptive keyword related to your page.
- Use heading tags – these are what you may consider the title text on your pages. Use headings sparingly across the page
Once these basic rules are in place you know you now have a great foundation to launch the rest of your marketing plan…
For more insight or if you have any questions what so ever please contact me!
Pamela Jacob - Artista Design