Thursday, February 17, 2011

Marketing or Sales What Is The Difference?

In a nutshell, marketing is getting people to know you – your product and/or service. Attracting them to what you have to offer. Sales are everything you do to secure the order or close the sale…

Marketing creates opportunities, and sales bring about outcomes…

In a larger company, the sales team would be the one who gets the call from potential clients or would call to find interested buyers (cold calling). The marketing department would be the employee’s who come up with strategies to attract potential customers.

The marketing and sales teams need to go hand in hand. Where one ends the other begins. Sales teams that are not integrated and a function of the marketing strategy are doomed to cold calling and

other wastes of time and effort.

A really good marketer can direct peoople who are interested to the sales team.

When a sale is made to the client it is the sales person who will build the long lasting business relationships. So if you are thinking of hiring an outside sales team make sure they are honest – and engaging. Likeability is very important, telling people what they need to know not what they want to hear.

When you are a small business or a start up company you want to control costs and guide the growth of your business so you do many things.

As a small business owner I wear many hats – I like to be in control of my own destiny. So I do the marketing and the sales, because I know my business inside and out.

As a marketer I figure out strategies that will put my business on the map – things that will give my business high exposure and appeal. There are so many ways to market one's business that I could spend all my time marketing. If I am marketing but ignoring the sales or “calls to action” moments, then I am spinning my wheels (not good!).

One of the most important things to consider as a small business is who do you need to hire – to help your business grow. Do you want to do the marketing or is it more cost effective to have a professional help you with that portion? If you do hire a marketer make sure you know what they are doing and the strategies behind it. This keeps you on top of what is happening, as a business owner you want to steer your own ship and may want to change strategies as time goes on.

On the other hand, I believe if you are a small business owner you should be in command of the sales portion of the business - the one to have personal contact when there is interested in what you have to offer.

Case in point: The way I run my business, I am the only one working with the clients – I may hire outside help for programming, etc., but I am the one who works with everyone. I do not want my client to worry about anything “that is my job”. Customer service is one of the most important aspects of business, and I know I will give superior customer service. If I hand out this task to others – how am I going to build rapport with my clients?

I truly believe in my services, so I am the natural sales contact when someone reaches out to get information – I then let them know what I have to offer and why they should go with me.

That is called closing the sale, and because I believe in what I do and what I have to offer it just comes naturally.

Marketing and sales are the lifeblood of every business. When starting from the ground floor up you must remember all your decisions will make a big difference in having a successful endeavor…

For help in strategizing your marketing plan or building a successful blueprint – contact me pamela@artistadesign.com or 801-910 -4825.

To success beyond measure!

Pamela Jacob Artista Design

Providing Creative Solutions & Amazing Results

8 comments:

  1. "Marketing is Leading a horse to water, and sales is getting them to drink it." -RonOrr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent - what a great analogy!

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at promotionaldesigner.blogspot.com.

    Can I use part of the information from your post above if I provide a link back to your website?

    Thanks,
    Jules

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules,

    Yes as long as you link back and let me know where the article will be - you have my blessings.

    Thanks

    Pamela Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing the link - but unfortunately it seems to be down? Does anybody here at promotionaldesigner.blogspot.com have a mirror or another source?


    Cheers,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter,

    It shouldn't ever be down? You can also access this blog at www.promotionaldesigner.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    This is a message for the webmaster/admin here at promotionaldesigner.blogspot.com.

    May I use some of the information from your blog post right above if I give a backlink back to your website?

    Thanks,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark,

    As long as you link back you have my blessings. Let me know where you are using it. pamela@artistadesign.com

    Thanks for the complement...

    ReplyDelete

Building a community of business people who are interested in taking there business to the next level. The world is you oyster now find out how to access it!