The look of the website is important but what about all the stuff behind the scenes? These are the details that make your website search engine friendly and will make marketing your business a whole lot easier.
All of these details take a lot of time, attention to detail is imperative. You don’t see it but you get results when you do it. An inexperienced website designer may not even know how important these pieces are. And if you are using a build it yourself template you will not have the advantage of being able to tweak until you have it right.
There is research involved as well – scoping out your top competitors is a must.
Keyword throughout your site, in the right places is a big thing. Meta-tags that were so highly touted (keywords) are not used by Google, they go through other means to verify your site's keywords. That doesn’t mean other web search engines do not use meta-tags.
The description meta-tag is important for Google and all search engines because that is what is listed on the directory page with the link.
The whole page of your website should be keyword rich.
I have developed a checklist of things to make sure you (or your website developer) are doing when building or tweaking your website.
11 Ways to Optimize Your Website with Keywords
- Page Titles – these page titles carry a lot of weight when your pages are indexed. Make sure each page has a title name with keywords that are pertinent to that particular page
- HTML pages – are the actual html files of your website named with keywords
- Keyword Phrases – Do not use keywords that are to general
- Enhance Phrase – Use longest keyword phrase version
- Number of keyword phrases on each page matters – don't put massive amounts of keyword phrases or you will be penalized (in the copy).
- Placement of Keyword Phrase – It is important to use the keyword phrase(s) in the beginning of your body text
- Regional Keywords – Make sure you put the city and state somewhere so that when someone searches for a specific town or state you are more likely to be found. Preferably in the title
- Services Products – use specific services and product names
- Header Keywords - H1 Header tags should be in place at the top of each page
- Search engine spiders give more importance to those titles. Sub Directories – each of your individual folder within the root directory of your website should have a keyword name
- Company Name – if you are using your company name as a keyword – Don’t.
It doesn’t matter how simple the website looks the backend needs to have time and attention.
For help in any aspect of your website consulting or developing please contact me the initial consultation is free…